LONDON (AFP) - British high street retailer Marks & Spencer said Tuesday that full year net profits fell nine percent amid "challenging" trading conditions.Earnings after taxation declined to ?466.7 million ($712 million, 552 million euros) in the 52 weeks to March 30, compared with ?513.1 million in the previous financial year, M&S said in a results statement.Underlying ...
reported an 8 percent rise in profit despite the introduction of new taxes, as demand grew for self-storage in London and southeast England.The UK government introduced value added tax, or VAT, on storage rents in October 2012, prompting the company's prices to rise 10 to 12.5 percent.Adjusted pretax profit rose to 25.5 million pounds in the year ended March 31 from 23.6 million pounds a ...
LONDON (Reuters) - Online gambling company bwin.party said it aimed to deliver savings of 70 million euros (59 million pounds) this year as it shifts to operating in fewer but better regulated markets.First quarter revenues fell 17 percent to 180.2 million euros, the company said, reflecting what it called a shift in strategy to seeking greater value from customers, rather than chasing ...
Reuters © Security firm G4S Chief Executive, Nick Buckles, addresses a Home Affairs Committee in this still image taken from video in central London September 11, 2012. REUTERS/UK ...
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Gold futures rose in electronic trade Tuesday, building on gains from the previous session that ended a lengthy string of ...
Winds: From the West at 4 MPH
War Horse [Blu-Ray]
Set against the backdrop of World War I, Steven Spielbergs War Horse is an ambitious, anthological portrait of both the devastation of war and the potential for human decency seen through the eyes of a horse. It is unabashedly romantic in the way it uses the horse, who is named Joey, a ... ...
Vodafone posted its largest ever quarterly fall in key organic service revenue on Tuesday, prompting it to keep hold of a dividend from its US arm and reinvest it into the business and not return it to shareholders. The world's second largest mobile operator, at the centre of intense speculation as to whether it will sell its US arm in one of the world's largest deals, posted a 4.2% ...
calm session overnight with comments from the Fed's Evans as the only market relevant news. Evans (voter, dove) said last night that "I'm optimistic that the labour market has been doing much, much better and that unemployment is going to continue to go down," and that "currently we have the appropriate monetary policy in place." He also said that "he has tried ...
NEW DELHI (AFP) - Visiting Chinese Premier Li Keqiang pledged on Tuesday to open up domestic markets to Indian businesses and narrow a gaping trade deficit between the two countries."As for Indian concerns over the trade deficit, the Chinese side is willing to provide facilitations for more Indian products to access the Chinese market," Li said during a speech to Indian business ...
Treasury secretary Martin Parkinson says the economic and revenue forecasts included in the federal budget are his department's best professional estimates, though numbers are likely to change by the time of the September election.Treasury is legally required to release its Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook (PEFO) during the election campaign in August.The federal opposition has said ...
The resources sector's contribution to economic growth will fall because increased production won't be enough to offset the decline in mining investment, Treasury Secretary Martin Parkinson warns.Dr Parkinson says the economy faces two major transitions over the next few years, which while supported by lower interest rates, will be challenged by continued weakness in the global economy ...
Reported in the press
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Toronto TelegraphToronto Telegraph | Breaking Toronto & Canada News
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Toronto news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Toronto Telegraph is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Toronto.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Toronto weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Toronto Telegraph is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has declined association with video-related clips that show him smoking cocaine.
Someone who tried to sell it to Toronto Star newspaper filmed the footage on a smartphone.
Toronto Star reporters were shown the video by an anonymous tipster in a car park. The newspaper claims that it did not pay money for the video and did not obtain the copy of the same and hence could not verify the authenticity of the footage.
According to the BBC, Ford denied the allegations and claimed it was another defamatory story by Toronto Star against him. His lawyer Dennis Morris told the newspaper that a probe is on regarding the video's existence and authenticity.
The footage appeared to show the mayor in a well-lit room inhaling from what appeared to be a glass crack pipe.
The Toronto Star editorial demanded answers for the act.
Meanwhile, the editor of the U.S. online news website Gawker, John Cook, in his blog, has claimed to have seen the clip, but did not want to pay the six-figure amount asked for by the video owner.
Ford's lawyer has sent an email to Gawker, threatening legal action. (ANI)
- Marks Spencer profits tumble
- Big Yellow profit rises as demand for self-storage grows
- Bwin.party targets cost savings eyes U.S. market
- G4S chief Buckles to step down
- Metals Stocks Gold prices rise following up on ‘key reversal’
- A last dance with Kenneth Waltz
- Philippine pivot in the South China Sea
- Japan tips its hand via North Korea
- Syria highlights US political impotence
- Alibaba stocks up onmobile deals before share sale
- Top-level speed skating must stay in Friesland says champion Kramer
- Canadas Thompson wins World Cup ski cross silver
- Colorado Resort Opens For Memorial Day Weekend
- Dr. Omar Chip Crothers 71 changed lives of thousands
- Canadian Turski wins gold in slopestyle at European X Games
- No alternative to privatising Royal Mail says Vince Cable
- One of the Few in Hollywood Who Can Say ‘No’ to Harvey Weinstein
- NowThis News Attracts High-Profile Supporters
- Rumor Google To Add SDN Smarts to Android
- CTIA Digital Life Pays Off for ATT
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- R-Tech begins enrolling patients in Phase III severe dry eye study
- Acorda obtains additional US patent for ampyra
- Pfizer discontinues Phase 3 non-hodgkin lymphoma study of inotuzumab ozogamicin
- New study finds link between AAS use and mental health
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- Indo- Swiss bilateral meet held at Geneva
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Frequent candy eaters not likelier to be overweight or have heart disease
- Indigenous culture youth among key topics as UN permanent forum opens 12th session
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Toronto Telegraph headlines delivered to your inbox.
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Mediterranean diet may help boost ageing brain power
- Talibans talks offer should be taken seriously Nawaz Sharif
- India and China enhance bilateral ties through eight pacts LeadEigh agreements
- GDF SUEZ Energy Resources Secures New Contract to Power Citizens Bank Park Home of the Philadelphia Phillies